Friday, August 7, 2020

Rest in Peace Vern Rumsey!

  

So devastated to hear of the passing of Vern Rumsey, definitely one of the best bass players I looked up to. I met Vern the 1st time in 1992, Unwound hopped on a show at this practice space w/ Rice and End of the Line, and they pulled up in this giant Suburban, and Vern hopped out and offered me a cigarette. That summer, Rice/Bumblescrump tour stopped in Olympia and Vern took me to the movie theater he worked at and gave me a giant bag of popcorn. In 1993, Unwound let my new band The Creeps play some shows, and when we went to Olympia to record w/ Tim Green, Vern and I started playing pool for food. By 1995, with The Peechees on the same label as Unwound, we played shows together. So many amazing memories with Vern. He almost got me fired from work one weekend, while saying goodbye, he dragged me into their van, and wouldn't let me out and I ended up going to LA with them and Vern paid for a Greyhound ticket for me to get home. I visited him a couple times when he started Las Vernas, which was him opening up a gambling den in his apartment with a roulette wheel in Olympia. I wouldn't lie to you by saying that a couple times I tried to play a show with a cigarette dangling from my mouth, I couldn't make it half a song, yet Vern a whole set. More than enough times a week I always start my day with Valentine Card/Kantina. Unwound was one of my favorite bands and they gave me motivation. Thanks for the inspiration, the laughter and friendship, Vern. REST IN PEACE. 
.
.
.
#ripvernrumsey #unwound







No comments: